Being grateful is one of the most beneficial strategies you can use to improve your overall health. It helps with well-being of body, mind and spirit.
When you are grateful for something… anything at all, it sends a powerful message to everyone of the cells in your body that all is well.
Here Are 7 Ways to Help
- Keep a Gratitude Journal – One of the ways to become more grateful involves practicing intentional gratefulness by writing down the things you are grateful for each day. You don’t have to be super detailed, just write bullets about your day and the things that brought you that feeling. Almost everyone these days has a smart phone so you can use that too by using your Note section to jot down the things that you are grateful for as they appear in your day.
- Remember What You’ve Overcome – One way to elicit grateful thoughts is to think about when you overcome something in your life. When you see how far you’ve come, you cannot help but feel good about it. Sometimes we forget about the struggles that we have been through and that we have survived them. Here you are in a new day and in a new time and that is something to be grateful for.
- Count Your Blessings – Each day take some time to actively count your blessings. You can do this by adding to your list and also observing everything around you from the moment you get up in the morning until the moment you retire at night. Ex. gratitude for the bed you sleep in, your comfy pillow, the smell of hot coffee etc. etc.
- Keep Track of Those Things That Make You Feel Grateful – When you are living your life if you get a sudden feeling of gratitude, instead of letting it pass, note it. Write it down so that you can think about it more often. Think back also to other times that you have been grateful and get back into that feeling. For example, maybe somebody gave you a ride when you needed it but didn’t expect it and you were so grateful. You can activate the feelings of gratitude even by reflecting on past situations! 🙂
- Tell People Thank You & Do It Often – When people help you, are good to you, polite, and do things for you always tell them thank you. Even if it’s their job to do it, be the type of person that is a bright light in their day too by verbally telling them thanks. You can never say thank you enough 🙂
- Speak Positively – Always speak positively and use phrases that are positive and hopeful. When you speak as though things are going well they will go well and things will flow much easier in your life because you expect it to be that way and you also declare it so through your words. Most people do not realize just how powerful their words are!
- Be Persistent – sure there will be some days that are better then others and things are not always rosy but as a long term plan, keep going through the motions by saying thanks, keeping your journal up, meditating, using prayers of thanks, and being hopeful… all will go a long way to triggering the right feelings of gratitude that you can conjure up whenever you need them.
As you focus on gratitude, I am sure you will find more and more things to be grateful for. It is as though the Universe ‘brings it on’ as per your request. You may notice things like enjoying the sound of rain, the smell of freshly cut grass, the smile on your child’s face as they work on their art project… These moments begin to fill you with grace and gratitude and life takes on a whole new depth.
I wish you many moments of gratitude throughout your days and your life.