February is heart health month so I thought I’d share a few ideas for supporting a healthy and happy heart.
The heart is a muscle and like all muscles, the more we use and work it, the bigger it gets. So with that being said, one of the number one ways to increase your heart’s capacity for love is to use it to love! The more love you can put out, the more you will get back. First and foremost, we need to love ourselves. I write about this often and over and over again and I will never stop until everyone in the world has their own love cup spilling over and oozing out onto the entire planet and through the entire cosmos! 🙂
Loving allows for heart expansion and for streams of gratitude and grace. Practicing gratitude is the fastest way to opening your heart to more self-love and appreciation, and in turn you will have the capacity to love others and to love your life. As the saying goes, it all starts at home, so to speak. 🙂
On the physical side of things, here are a few supportive ideas to keep your heart healthy:
- Limit your fat intake, especially saturated fats that come in the form of fried foods, and unhealthy oils. Actually it’s good to limit your fats all around and focus more on plant based foods that are chock full of micro-nutrients, fiber, enzymes and phyto-nutrients. Make these types of foods the focal point of your diet.
- Stay hydrated. Thick and sluggish blood that lacks oxygen and good mitochondrial production, is not the place you want to be when it comes to heart health! I have written about that here: Are You Suffering from Toxic & Thick Blood?
- Movement. Exercise and movement are crucial for heart health. A sedentary lifestyle is one of the greatest risk factors for heart disease. Aerobic exercise and any type of exercise can be beneficial for strengthening your heart and cardiovascular system, improving your circulation and helping your body to use oxygen better, increasing energy levels so you can do more activities without becoming tired or short of breath, as well as a host of other benefits such as improved joint health. Any way you look at it, movement is beneficial when it comes to health period! Movement also helps to move the lymphatic system, which in turn helps to detoxify the body, which in turn helps to lessen the load on the circulatory system. Exercise and movement can also improve sleep and sleep heals the body and restores the body’s vitality.
- Alternative Movement. If for any reason, one cannot move easily there are alternatives. Chair yoga is something that might be of benefit and one can do at home. You can find free chair yoga that you can do at home on YouTube. Another great alternative is to use a Whole Body Vibe Machine. These machines provide a one hour workout in 10 minutes and can be adapted if a person needs to sit. You can read about the benefits here: Link to Benefits of a Whole Body Vibe Session
- Peace of Mind. As mentioned earlier, work at loving yourself more and make time for practicing peace of mind and stillness. Yoga, sitting in nature, meditation and listening to calming music are but a few ways to foster calm within the body and mind. Get creative and listen to your heart on ways that will work for you….
- Listen to your heart!!!! One of the best medicines for heart health, is honoring your wants, desires and needs. Get clear on what is important to you in life. What brings you JOY? Do more of it! Own YOUR life. Make your life a priority. Life goes by in the blink of an eye, make sure you make the moments count and make moments that matter!
- Supplement. Supplements are enhancements and can truly be catalysts when it comes to improving heart health. There are countless nutrients and supplements that can be supportive in heart health but a few major ones are: Co-Enzyme Q-10, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Vitamin B-12, Zinc, Selenium, Magnesium, OPC’s and other anti-oxidants, Curcumin, Omega III’s. Astaxanthin, and more. Feel free to reach out to me to discuss supplement choices in detail. I am also available to offer suggestions based on individual situations and with your particular health goals in mind.
“The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched – they must be felt with the heart.” Helen Keller
Maggie Holbik.com is a Board Certified Nutritionist and Certified Life Coach who believes in Love and in Loving Life! She helps her clients to love themselves more and in turn they en-JOY their life more! What’s not to love about that? 🙂